Figure 1: Kenan Tepe is situated on a rise above a sharp bend in the Tigris. It consists of a main mound (areas A-E) and a lower plateau (areas F and G). Artifacts found here suggest that occupation began in the Ubaid Period (ca. 4600 B.C.) and was followed by occupation during the Late Chalcolithic, Early Bronze Age, Middle Bronze Age, and Early Iron Age (1200-900 B.C.). The site occasionally was used for burials from Byzantine through Ottoman times.
Figure 2: Two views of Kenan Tepe
The top image was taken facing west, from across the Tigris during the 2001 excavation season.
The second is facing southeast during the 2000 season. Note the blue and white tents over the trenches in the lower image. The long tent on the middle of the high mound is the step trench (trench A2) just after the tent was lowered at the end of excavations on August 10, 2000. The tents visible on the gently sloping west side of the mound (far right) are area C trenches. The top of area D tents are barely visible on the eastern slopes of the high mound and the top of an area F trench is visible on the eastern edge of the lower town in the far left side of the photograph. Click here for a satellite photograph of the site.